Updated 28th Jun
On This Day in History - 1837: The Electric Telegraph is first demonstrated after wires are laid along the railway between Euston and Camden Town
The report on the collapse of Penmanshiel tunnel in 1979.
This document was published on 2nd August 1983 by Department of Transport.
It was written by Lieut. Col. I. K. A. McNaughton.
This item is linked to the Accident at Penmanshiel Tunnel on 17th March 1979
The original document format was Stapled Book, and comprised 7 pages.
This document is Crown Copyright, and is subject to the terms governing the reproduction of crown copyright material. Depending on the status and age of the original document, you may need an OPSI click-use license if you wish to reproduce this material, and other restrictions may apply. Please see this explanation for further details.
"At the time of the accident, work was in hand to increase the effective headroom by lowering the floor of the tunnel. The work on the Up (southbound) track had been completed and it had been reopened for single line traffic while a party of contractors' employees were engaged in tidying up the newly-excavated floor preparatory to the relaying of the Down line when the roof of the tunnel collapsed over a length of some 20 metres, allowing a quantity of broken rock, estimated at over 2000 tonnes, to pour into the tunnel, blocking it completely.
Of the men at work in the tunnel, 13 made good their escape but 2 were overwhelmed by the fall of rock and lost their lives, despite urgent and determined efforts at their rescue and recovery, including the attendance of a Mines Rescue team. Fortunately, no train was in or closely approaching the tunnel at the time of the collapse."
Does the franchise model just need technical changes or would a concession system be better?
or just view the results
Join our 1844 other members and sign up to receive the RA newsletter, with links to all new documents and other site news...
Please consider donating to help with our running costs.